What is a JayDiva?

JayDiva (noun) a writer of blogs who is an attorney, feminist, New Englander, child advocate, reader, hiker, cancer survivor, Mormon.



Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Media and Cancer


Either various media outlets are following me around to gather material to use for their editorials, or else cancer is sweeping the human race and making headlines.  Unfortunately, I fear its the latter that is true.  Regardless, I keep coming across several interesting bits of media that highlight what I’m going through right now. 

It has been eye-opening to realize that all of the unthinkably crazy things that I am going through are actually happening to people everyday, all around the country.  It has called to mind a favorite passage from Matilda written by Roald Dahl (if you’re not already obsessed with Dahl, read The Twits and I promise that you WILL be!).  Matilda was a bright young girl in an oppressive, ignorant family who treated her like dirt.  She found solace in books, reading about heroes and heroines—other smart people who, like her, were misunderstood or treated badly, but who ultimately rose triumphantly.


“So Matilda’s strong young mind continued to grow, nurtured by the voices of all those authors who has sent their books out into the world like ships on the sea.  These books gave Matilda a hopeful and comforting message: You are not alone.”


Seeing the following videos definitely proved that I am not alone in my bizarre experiences in Proton Therapy.  These videos were actually taken at the facility I attend daily at UPenn, and the creator and I actually have a mutual friend!  My sweet former roommate pointed me to these videos.  Not only are they creative and cool, they are actually pretty accurate at showing what treatment is like.


 (P.S. That is totally one of my therapists on the right and she was SO embarrassed when I told her I saw her in this video!  Haha!)




Huge cyber high-five to creator Thomas Ashley, and nice choice of music on above^ video—Radioactive by Imagine Dragons.  (Coincidentally, I saw them perform this song live shortly after I moved to Philly with my main man friend, Vic, who is a medical student here!)


Seriously, click the links and WATCH THESE VIDEOS!

As you could see in the videos, the patient was wearing this awful mask.  He looked so jolly when they took his off, but for me I’m always like, “Get me outta this thing!”



NPR highlighted an Art Show in Washington DC where many of these masks were converted into artwork and displayed.  The show was called Courage Unmasked.  Very cool.  I like how one patient who donated his mask to the project stated, “[The mask's] goal is to restrain, and they’re [the masks used as art] going to expand.  And so, it’s a thing of contrasts…” 



The artwork from this event was auctioned off and the proceeds went into the 9114HNC (Help for Head and Neck Cancer) fund, which gives grants to patients with head and neck cancer.


I already have BIG plans for my own mask art post-treatment.  My canvases are purchased and everything! 


Here’s a LINK to the photo gallery: http://courageunmasked.org/photo-gallery/



Additionally, I have recently started subscribing to a free podcast called RadioLab from WNYC.  And maybe it just happens to seem this way with the ones I have happened to have already downloaded, but I swear that they are obsessed with tumors!  They even had one episode dedicated to people with brain tumors and criminal law!  Its like they made that episode just so that it would be interesting to me!  If they had added something about rugby, feminism, and farmer’s markets, I would have been kinda freaked out, since that’s me in a nutshell.

Here’s a couple of their tumor-related shows…
(also FREE on iTunes)








 

And get ready for this final one, shared with me by my cousin and mom.  Seriously, don’t press play until you have a tissue…




No matter how crazy things get, you are not alone.  I have known that in a spiritual sense, but I am now seeing it in a very tangible, physical sense as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment