What is a JayDiva?

JayDiva (noun) a writer of blogs who is an attorney, feminist, New Englander, child advocate, reader, hiker, cancer survivor, Mormon.



Tuesday, September 23, 2014

My Proton Plan


Greetings, Earthlings. 

I’m telling you—Proton Therapy is from the space age.  It is like being in the Twilight Zone.  There’s some CRAZY science happening all up in this brain!



I begged my Oncologist to print these out for me at our weekly meeting and I thought I should share them.  These images are from my  individualized “plan,” ie the computer mapping they did after a million MRIs and CT scans so they could program the Proton Beam to cover the area where any lingering malignant cells may still be lurking. 

 (P.S. sinuses are really strange...)


 (P.P.S. isn't that a cute little Michelin Man?)



They are attacking the area from 3 different angles, as the images show.  I think they had to kind of get creative with the angles since I have all these metal plates going on [As a side note, I get an X Ray of my head everyday to line up the beam and my Radiation Therapists tell me they love seeing my plates everyday ;) I’m glad they’re still there too!], and they don’t want to interfere with really important parts of my brain…oh, and my tumor was like right smack in the middle of my brain, so I’m betting they had a lot of head scratching trying to make my plan.

Oh, I’m just so special!

And can you see that gap in my skull at the bottom right of the third image?!  The bottom center shows the metal plates, but the bottom right is just a bare gap!  I was like, “What is THAT doctor?!  Is THAT supposed to be there?  How did THAT happen?!”

He looked at me like-- what is wrong with you?  It’s just a little hole in your head!   --and said it was a place the surgeons cut into my skull.

“There’s still a hole!?!”

(practically rolling his eyes) “Oh, it will grow back…”


I’m sorry, am I the only one concerned that there’s a hold in my skull without a metal plate over it??  Alright, well all these doctors seem to think I’m over-reacting, so I guess I’ll just forget about it.

My life…


Signing off from the planet Mars.

No comments:

Post a Comment