What is a JayDiva?

JayDiva (noun) a writer of blogs who is an attorney, feminist, New Englander, child advocate, reader, hiker, cancer survivor, Mormon.



Sunday, May 13, 2012

Chelsie's B-day in Pennsylvania!

Conveniently enough, my one and only (for about 3 more weeks) sister had a birthday on my law school graduation day, not to mention the next day was Mother's Day, and a few day's before was my parents' 30th anniversary...basically NON-STOP party week! 

To me and mine, celebration coincides with food and I decided to make Chels a fancy pants birthday cake.

I was inspired by a photo from another Pinner, but her directions were in metric units and therefore not particularly helpful to me.  So I fudged it and made it my own.

Here's what I came up with, I call it the Alice in Wonderland Cake:

(at 6 layers, its so tall it hardly fits on a plate!)

INGREDIENTS:
-3 boxes of white cake mix + whatever they call for (eggs, oil, water, etc.)
-2 jars of lemon curd (at room temperature for easy spreading)
-1 small bottle of Bolthouse Berry Smoothie (blackberry & blueberry juice)
-blue food coloring
-fresh blueberries


DIRECTIONS:
-Prepare the cakes as directed, each box makes 2 cakes
-I used a smaller 8-inch cake pan instead of the standard 9 incher to make the cakes a little taller so I had more room to spare for cutting the tops off of the cakes so they'd be flat and stack better
-For the first cake, I added only about 1tsp of berry juice + a teensy bit of food coloring, keeping the cake mix pretty much white
-For each progressive cake, I would add more juice and more food coloring, with the final and bluest cake having about 1/2 c of juice added to it + a generous amount of food coloring
-Cool cakes completely before trying to stack
-Use a sharp serrated knife to trim the cake, making the tops flat and exposing the colors by cutting off the browned outside of the cakes
-I stacked them in 2 stacks of 3 with lemon curd between each layer and then froze the 2 stacks (it probably won't fit in your freezer if you try to put all 6 cakes on top of each other from the get-go)
-20-30 minutes before serving time, remove cakes from freezer and rinse the blueberries, then pat them dry with a paper towel.  Use another layer of lemon curd to put to 2 stacks on top of each other and use 4 skewers, inserted from the top to the bottom, to hold the cakes stable.
-Add the rest of the lemon curd to the top in a generous layer, layer the blueberries on top in concentric circles
-Trim around the edges to make the cake even, I even added visual interest (perhaps on purpose or perhaps not...) by trimming the cake so it got thinner at the bottom, giving it a whimsical, Alice in Wonderland look ala the Mad Hatter
-A work of art!  Delicious with coconut gelatto and lemon sorbetto :)



1 comment: