What is a JayDiva?

JayDiva (noun) a writer of blogs who is an attorney, feminist, New Englander, child advocate, reader, hiker, cancer survivor, Mormon.



Saturday, May 21, 2016

I Was A Stranger

I was very touched this last General Conference by the beautiful emphasis on our duty as Christians (and just as fellow residents of Earth!) to assist in the current refugee crisis.  At a time when people vying for the conservative/Christian vote are spewing hate and intolerance about refugees around the world, it was a breath of fresh air to hear so many moving words about showing love to those in need, regardless of national origin, religion, or color.

I recommend watching/reading this talk by Elder Kearon (1st link below) and honestly the entire General Women's Session (see 2nd link) to get up to speed on what was said at last month's General Conference:

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2016/04/refuge-from-the-storm?lang=eng&_r=1 

https://www.lds.org/general-conference?lang=eng

Don't forget that the competent and charismatic President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, born in Czechoslovakia, himself had to flee his home country and later flee again, this time across Germany, during WWII.  In contrast to politicians who want to call all Syrian refugees, for example, "terrorists," "dangerous," "burdensome," etc.; here is what President Uchtdorf said:

"What I learned from that experience was to never label any people."

https://www.lds.org/church/news/losing-everything-twice-president-uchtdorfs-refugee-experience?lang=eng 

Elder Kearon said something similar:

"This moment does not define the refugees, but our response will help define us."

Popular voices in the media label innocent, hurting refugees as resource-stealing radicals.   And maybe once in a while, that could be true.  But these hateful labels ignore the fact that most, if not all of them are people- grieving, victimized, traumatized people.  The only true label we can give them is fellow traveler in need.  And if we (the US) felt like it was our duty to topple distant violent governments, to occupy other nations for stability from terrorists, and to create power-vacuums, then it is CERTAINLY our duty to help people injured as a result (or even not as a result) who come to our shores, seeking refuge from the terror and violence we profess to be our common enemies.



Here in Connecticut, we are blessed to have an organization called IRIS (Integrated Refugee and Immigrant Services) http://www.irisct.org/ 

IRIS encourages regular people like you and me to help ease local refugee's transition into our community by donating home goods, hosting fundraisers, and hiring new immigrants/refugees.  What a positive, supporting agency in our community!  Hubs and I already have flagged most of our furniture to give to IRIS when we move.  How easy was that?



How you choose to help others can be as simple as donating unneeded furniture.  Or try this, instead of saying "there goes the neighborhood," and isolating your new neighbors who look different from you, try knocking on their door and introducing yourself.  Perhaps even offer to point out your favorite grocery store or your favorite park to take your own kids.  Moving is really hard and really disorienting.  Moving across oceans to a place you have never been before and where you may not be comfortable with the language, would be horrifying.  Now add a major dose of trauma and imagine that you have left all of your belongings, money, pensions, jobs, and friends behind... unimaginable.

If you find any way, no matter how small, to ease these heavy burdens, please do so.  I'll be right there with you, looking for ways I can help, too.

 34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
 35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
 36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
 37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
 38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
 39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
 40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
              Matthew, Chapter 25

No comments:

Post a Comment