What is a JayDiva?

JayDiva (noun) a writer of blogs who is an attorney, feminist, New Englander, child advocate, reader, hiker, cancer survivor, Mormon.



Saturday, May 9, 2015

Poem

I have written poems for as long as I can remember.  But I usually keep them to myself because I consider them my private expression, often about very personal feelings or subject matter.  So be surprised when I announce that, below, I am pasting a poem I recently wrote.  After all, mom's deserve special consideration; good moms, doubly so!  Perhaps by the time next Mother's Day rolls around, I will have managed to make it all rhyme, but I kinda like how it is-- more like a spoken-word piece. 




Quiet Thank Yous
A free-form poem about my mom


Biology joined us three decades ago
And biology binds us still
But we share much more than genetic codes:
Time, emotion, happiness, and even trauma

These threads span the continent
Connecting our distant hearts
And our prayers span the cosmos
Connecting our different spirits

Different, I say, because she is sweet
While I boast an honest, Realist streak.
She knows what is right and what is good,
While I think I always know what is best

I find myself year after year,
Eating my proverbial hat
It’s hard to say, “You’re right”
It’s harder to say, “I’m sorry”

When I find I don’t know it all
When I realize your unseen service
I can’t scream my gratitude, for shyness
So all you may get is a quiet thank you

A thank you so faint, it is scarcely there,
A whisper that’s unheard off-stage
But the feelings behind the murmur
Can fill an orchestra hall with your praise

A little girl with pigtails, crying for Mom,
Can only manage a murmur
Of thank you through her tears-
She doesn’t know what else to say

A young lady is unspeakably grateful
When you sacrifice your knitting needle
To relieve her itchy, cast-covered arm
All she can think to say is a quiet thank you

A new graduate, alone and so far from home
Hates to admit that she misses her mom
So when the family all flies in to see her
No words can express, so none are said

The young woman is now lost inside her own head
She cannot see past all the staples and dread,
Only one stays beside her, both day and night
This faithful one is, of course, that dear mom

The mom who has only received quiet thank yous,
The mom who now helps the young woman walk,
The mom who must help her adult-child shower,
The mom who lends a shoulder as her daughter cries.

The walls are covered with charts for the young woman’s progress
The refrigerator is full of her most favorite things
Mom is now her physical therapist, her nurse, and her friend
As the young woman leans on mom and dares to still live

And now, yet again, there seems nothing to give
Nothing the daughter can do
Nothing to account for the weeks of loving
Nothing but a quiet thank you

Healing months are welcomed home
And a bride stands next to her tearful mom
They look in the mirror, and mom zips the bride,
Who stares in the mirror, love brimming inside

The bride hesitates- can she do it alone?
Time to now leave the sanctuary of mom.
And what can she do, to express years of joy?
To give thanks for boundless love and care?

One word on the subject would surely bring tears
And the photographer is waiting outside.
Nothing can encompass the love she has felt,
The protection mom has been her whole life.

And so, yet again, we see the dear daughter,
The object of decades of grace,
With nothing but gratitude in her growing heart,
Offering a quiet thank you and embrace.


There really are no words except that I love you, Momma Pea! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment