What is a JayDiva?

JayDiva (noun) a writer of blogs who is an attorney, feminist, New Englander, child advocate, reader, hiker, cancer survivor, Mormon.



Sunday, April 21, 2013

Nerdin' Out With the Constitution

I had a free Saturday and since I have been meaning to check out the National Constitution Center-- a relatively new museum on Independence Mall with high reviews-- and so I seized the day!

I pedaled over on my bike and was very interested in their Prohibition exhibit.  Here's some of the things I saw:

Justice O'Connor's robe

 The Preamble published in a 1787 newspaper

Propaganda PROVING that if you drink, your kids WILL be adjudicated delinquent!

Excellent letter by an angry citizen!
 In case you can't read it, it says:

"Dear Sir

"Reed's description of you yesterday is that of nine-tenths of real Americans.

"That people like you are enabled to enact your narrow views into laws, simply because the average citizen is too busy to prevent it, is an evil in this system of government which some day will be blotted out.

"There is one things sure:  The people are beginning to wake up, and when they do and realize what you have put across, they'll blot you out of political existence at least."

And of course, some excellent ROARING 20'S FASHION!


 It's like Downton Abbey!  Can't you see Lady Mary wearing this^ dress?

And I don't know why, but I seriously love this photo!

Secret prohibition era alcohol stash.  It looks suspiciously like a Book of Mormon, so I thought it was especially funny ;)

Having just paid my taxes, I can't help but agree, "More Beer Less Taxes"!  ...at least the Less Taxes part, haha.

And I even got a mug shot taken with Al Capone!


Additionally, I realized that all it takes to get me choked up are these three words: "We the People..."

At this point in my life, liberty and Constitutional rights are what I eat, sleep, and breathe.  They are my world.  And it is a pleasure to fight for these freedoms in Philadelphia, the birthplace of liberty as we know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment