What is a JayDiva?

JayDiva (noun) a writer of blogs who is an attorney, feminist, New Englander, child advocate, reader, hiker, cancer survivor, Mormon.



Friday, October 19, 2012

Free Museum Day!

FREE MUSEUM DAY!

I had the great fortune of being informed of FREE MUSEUM DAY- or, more officially, Smithsonian Magazine Museum Day.  And considering I live in a city packed full of amazing museums, I figured this was my chance to see some cool old stuff!

The plan was to go to the Penn Museum (at the beautiful ivy and gargoyle-adorned University of Pennsylvania), then on to the Institute of Contemporary Art, and finally the Natural Science Museum.

Unfortunately, nearly the entire day was spent at the Penn Museum…BECAUSE IT WAS GREAT!

We just happened to be approached by an archaeologist who was going to be giving a tour of the Canaan section in 30 minutes and wanted to practice on us- hello, private tour!

Here’s some things we saw:
 That's the entrance of the Penn Museum

 Oil lamps!  This reminded me of Israel!  Annie & I then talked about the New Testament parable of the Ten Virgins :)

 I would make a very nice sculpture

 You KNOW I have a HUGE place in my heart for Egyptology :D

 Annie asking, "What's up with your casual posture, bro?"

 This is AMAZING and I want this.  I already asked and the DC Temple promised that they will let me wear this when I get married ;)  Its the golden headdress of the Iraqi queen Puabi- epic- also kinda Princess Leia, just sayin...

This little gem is from the special MAYA 2012 exhibit.  He was found in modern Honduras and depicts the founder of the Copan dynasty, K'inich Yax K'uk' Mo'.  I think his hat and glasses are very forward-thinking.

Yay for free learning & exploring!

1 comment:

  1. The last guy looks like someone from one of the cartoons Evan used to watch! Ha! What a fun day.

    ReplyDelete